The NationPCG: China’s Artificial Island on Panganiban Reef a ‘Blatant...

PCG: China’s Artificial Island on Panganiban Reef a ‘Blatant Encroachment’

-

- Public Service Reminder -spot_img

MANILA, Philippines — What was once a natural reef in the West Philippine Sea has been transformed by China into a militarized artificial island, situating military assets just 120 nautical miles from the Philippine coastline, officials said Saturday.

The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reiterated its position following the release of images by state-run PTV showing the extent of the development on Panganiban Reef, known internationally as Mischief Reef. The imagery depicts what the PCG describes as a fully operational military base, including structures, radar facilities, and airstrip infrastructure.

In a statement, PCG spokesperson Rear Admiral Jay Tarriela underscored the reef’s proximity to the Philippines, contrasting it with the distance to the Chinese mainland.

“Panganiban Reef is only 120 nautical miles from the coastline of Palawan, while it is more than 600 nautical miles from mainland China,” Tarriela said. He did not explicitly label the activity as illegal but emphasized the disparity in distance as part of the Philippine government’s ongoing diplomatic objections.

The reef lies within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ) under the 2016 landmark ruling by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague, which invalidated China’s expansive maritime claims. Beijing has rejected the ruling and has continued its military and civilian buildup in the region.

Mischief Reef has been a flashpoint in the South China Sea for decades. In 1995, the Philippines discovered that Chinese fishermen and military vessels had established structures on the reef, leading to a series of diplomatic standoffs. Since then, China has progressively expanded the feature, constructing a runway, naval berthing facilities, and air defense systems.

The reef is part of the Spratly Islands archipelago, much of which is claimed by the Philippines, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Brunei. The 2016 arbitral ruling rejected China’s historic rights claim within the Philippines’ EEZ, affirming the sovereign rights of the Philippines to the maritime area.

The Philippine government has repeatedly called for the immediate cessation of Chinese activities in the region, citing risks to maritime safety, marine biodiversity, and regional stability. China maintains that its activities are lawful and conducted within its sovereign territory.

The PCG and the Philippine Navy continue to conduct regular patrols in the area. Tarriela said the PCG remains committed to maintaining a presence in the West Philippine Sea “in accordance with international law.”

The newly circulated images have reignited calls from Philippine lawmakers and civil society groups for stronger multilateral engagement to address China’s military expansion in the disputed waterway.


Discover more from Cavite News

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

cavite.news
cavite.newshttps://cavite.news
We, the people of Cavite, recognize that in order to achieve our goals and aspirations, we need to be empowered and well-informed of the news and events that affect us and our cities and towns. We need to have access to accurate, relevant, and timely information that will enable us to make informed decisions and take appropriate actions.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Latest news

Wave pool resort draws summer crowd in Tanza

Wave pool resort draws summer crowd in Tanza TANZA, Cavite — A beach and wave pool resort in this Cavite...

Megaworld eyes General Trias as Cavite’s next premier business district

Megaworld eyes General Trias as Cavite's next premier business district GENERAL TRIAS CITY, Cavite — Megaworld Corporation is positioning its...

Jonvic Remulla mulls return as Cavite governor

MANILA — Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla is considering a return to the governorship of Cavite, saying the province fared...

Barangay tanod, woman vendor killed in Dasmariñas shooting

DASMARIÑAS CITY, Cavite — A barangay tanod and a woman vendor were killed in a shooting in Barangay Emmanuel...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Student dies after motorcycle falls off bridge while using phone

CARMONA CITY, Cavite — A 23-year-old college student died early Tuesday after his motorcycle plunged off a bridge while...

Imus-GenTri Friendship Bridge formally opened to public

CAVITE — The Imus-General Trias Friendship Bridge 1 was formally opened to the public Thursday, linking two of Cavite's...

Must read

SM Retail to Hold Job Fair in Dasmariñas on May 27

DASMARIÑAS CITY, Cavite — SM Retail will hold a...

30 tons of vegetables distributed free in Imus as aid to Benguet farmers

30 tons of vegetables distributed free in Imus as...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you