Breaking NewsOmbudsman signals arrest of Bong Revilla over flood control...

Ombudsman signals arrest of Bong Revilla over flood control corruption

-

- Public Service Reminder -spot_img

The Ombudsman on Monday said there is sufficient evidence to indict and arrest former senator and Cavite-based Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. on charges of malversation or plunder linked to alleged corruption in flood control projects, with action possibly coming before Christmas.

“It’s a low-hanging fruit and there is enough evidence to warrant the indictment and arrest — possibly before Christmas,” Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla told ANC television, describing the probe as an ongoing preliminary investigation nearing completion.

Remulla, who heads the Office of the Ombudsman tasked with probing high-level graft, said the case against Revilla centers on irregularities in flood mitigation infrastructure.

The allegations stem from a recommendation by the Independent Commission on Infrastructure (ICI), which last week referred Revilla and nine others to the Ombudsman for potential criminal prosecution, citing possible plunder, bribery and corruption of public officials.

Revilla’s inclusion follows testimony from former Department of Public Works and Highways undersecretary Roberto Bernardo, who accused him of seeking a 25-percent commission on P125 million worth of flood control contracts — a claim Revilla has denied.

The Department of Justice last week confirmed Revilla as a respondent in its probe into anomalous projects in Bulacan province, alongside fugitive ex-congressman Zaldy Co.

Remulla did not specify a filing date but hinted at swift action, telling reporters: “Of course there is (an arrest). Just relax. We’ll make no announcement, it will just happen.”

The scandal has ensnared several politicians, with the Ombudsman building cases against unnamed senators and representatives tied to kickbacks from substandard projects, including a P289-million dike in Oriental Mindoro that used undersized materials.

In November, the Ombudsman filed the first related charges against Co and public works officials before the anti-graft Sandiganbayan court, amending them to include malversation of public funds.

Revilla’s camp expressed dismay over the ICI referral, saying he had received no subpoena or chance to respond.


Discover more from Cavite News

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

cavite.news
cavite.newshttps://cavite.news
We, the people of Cavite, recognize that in order to achieve our goals and aspirations, we need to be empowered and well-informed of the news and events that affect us and our cities and towns. We need to have access to accurate, relevant, and timely information that will enable us to make informed decisions and take appropriate actions.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Latest news

Wave pool resort draws summer crowd in Tanza

Wave pool resort draws summer crowd in Tanza TANZA, Cavite — A beach and wave pool resort in this Cavite...

Megaworld eyes General Trias as Cavite’s next premier business district

Megaworld eyes General Trias as Cavite's next premier business district GENERAL TRIAS CITY, Cavite — Megaworld Corporation is positioning its...

Jonvic Remulla mulls return as Cavite governor

MANILA — Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla is considering a return to the governorship of Cavite, saying the province fared...

Barangay tanod, woman vendor killed in Dasmariñas shooting

DASMARIÑAS CITY, Cavite — A barangay tanod and a woman vendor were killed in a shooting in Barangay Emmanuel...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Student dies after motorcycle falls off bridge while using phone

CARMONA CITY, Cavite — A 23-year-old college student died early Tuesday after his motorcycle plunged off a bridge while...

Imus-GenTri Friendship Bridge formally opened to public

CAVITE — The Imus-General Trias Friendship Bridge 1 was formally opened to the public Thursday, linking two of Cavite's...

Must read

SM Retail to Hold Job Fair in Dasmariñas on May 27

DASMARIÑAS CITY, Cavite — SM Retail will hold a...

30 tons of vegetables distributed free in Imus as aid to Benguet farmers

30 tons of vegetables distributed free in Imus as...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you