Business and InvestmentAfter POGO Ban, Escudero Wants Review of PIGO

After POGO Ban, Escudero Wants Review of PIGO

-

- Public Service Reminder -spot_img

MANILA—Senate President Francis “Chiz” G. Escudero has called for a comprehensive cost-benefit analysis of the Philippine Inland Gaming Operators (PIGOs) licensed by the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) to assess their impact on Filipino society.

Escudero expressed concern that PIGOs, which offer online gaming services primarily to local clients, may pose similar risks to those previously identified with Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs), which were patronized mainly by foreign nationals.

“With POGOs, it was foreigners who gambled, whose families were affected, who became addicted, and who lost money due to gambling. We banned POGOs, but we allowed PIGOs—Philippine Inland Gaming Operations—where it is Filipinos who gamble, not foreigners,” Escudero said during a press conference on Friday.

He raised concerns that former POGO operators might be operating under the guise of PIGOs, thereby continuing similar activities that could harm Filipino citizens.

Escudero urged PAGCOR to conduct an in-depth and transparent review of PIGO operations to determine their benefits and potential detriments to the country.

“Can we obtain data from PAGCOR? Can we get data from relevant government agencies, including the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)? How much are we really earning from this? And like the questions we asked regarding POGOs, is it worth it?” he added.

Escudero stressed that if PIGOs are found to have a detrimental impact on Filipinos, particularly those with limited disposable income, the government should consider imposing a ban similar to that on POGOs.

He recalled President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s executive order in 2022 that suspended all e-sabong operations nationwide due to their negative effects on ordinary Filipinos.

In July 2024, during his State of the Nation Address, President Marcos announced a ban on all POGO operations in the country, effective December 2024. This led to the closure of major POGO hubs, including the largest facility at Island Cove in Kawit, Cavite, which ceased operations ahead of the year-end deadline.

The Island Cove hub in Kawit, Cavite, spanning 33 hectares with 57 buildings, employed approximately 30,000 workers at its peak, half of whom were Filipinos.

Kawit’s POGO operation shutdown was part of the government’s crackdown on POGOs amid fears over crime, money laundering, and other illegal activities associated with the industry.

The government’s decisive action against POGOs underscores the need for a thorough evaluation of PIGO operations to ensure that similar issues do not arise, thereby safeguarding the welfare of Filipino citizens.


Discover more from Cavite News

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

cavite.news
cavite.newshttps://cavite.news
We, the people of Cavite, recognize that in order to achieve our goals and aspirations, we need to be empowered and well-informed of the news and events that affect us and our cities and towns. We need to have access to accurate, relevant, and timely information that will enable us to make informed decisions and take appropriate actions.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Latest news

Megaworld to Invest ₱10B in New Lifestyle Malls, Including in Cavite

Megaworld to Invest ₱10B in New Lifestyle Malls, Including in Cavite Megaworld Corp. plans to invest approximately ₱10 billion through...

Imus Police Arrest Robbery Suspect, Recover Stolen Electronics, Unlicensed Gun

IMUS, Cavite — Police arrested a robbery suspect and recovered stolen electronics and an unlicensed firearm in Imus City,...

Kawit police nab province’s most wanted drug suspect

KAWIT, Cavite — Police arrested a provincial most-wanted suspect on drug charges Monday afternoon, authorities said. Warrant officers from the...

Large Valentine’s Day Billboards Spark Political Speculation in Cavite

A series of oversized Valentine's Day billboards bearing the message "I Love You, Happy Valentine's Day" have drawn attention...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

City of Imus Opens Free Public Park in Barangay Maharlika

City of Imus Opens Free Public Park in Barangay Maharlika IMUS, Cavite — The City of Imus has opened a...

Paliparan-GMA Bypass Road Set to Open in Cavite

DASMARIÑAS, Cavite — The Paliparan-GMA Bypass Road is set to open soon, marking a significant step forward in improving...

Must read

Noveleta Eatery Offers Community Space, Bulalo With a Story

NOVELETA, Cavite — A small restaurant in this historic...

Cavite Street Vendor Perseveres With Humble Fruit Cart

TANZA, Cavite — Bernardino Verdejo, 40, rises before dawn...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you